Google Translator

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

FEAR being the NEXT PREY?

Back in 1990s, there was this film titled Jurassics Park (JP). At that time I don't know what's the hype is all about. I can't remember whether I watched JP at the movie theater or through TV tube. The only thing I remember is I don't understand why the fuss over JP. I mean no disrespect to Steven Spielberg directing talent but I don't feel JP is a great movie.

Then late last year, I discover Michael Crichton's novels. I was browsing through the novels at IIUM library and out of curiosity I picked his book, Disclosure. It is about:

A brutal struggle in the cutthroat computer industry; a shattering psychological game of cat and mouse; an accusation of sexual harassment that threatens to derail a brilliant career...this is the electrifying core of Disclosure. At the center: Tom Sanders, an up-and-coming executive with DigiCom in Seattle, a man whose corporate future is certain. Until: after a closed-door meeting with his new boss -- a woman who was his lover ten years before, a woman who has been promoted to the position he expected to have -- he is accused of sexually harassing her. Now he finds himself trapped between what he knows to be true and what he knows others will assume to be the truth. And, as he uncovers an electronic trail into the company's secrets, he begins to grasp just how cynical and manipulative an abuse of truth has actually occurred...

Then I got to know that he is the writer of the JP novel. Plus he is also the scriptwriter of ER, the most popular TV series back in late 1990s which I was one of its millions fans. His in depth knowledge about science and the way he interweave it with his storyline plus his style of writing get me hooked. Since then I've been searching and reading his novels.
The latest in my collection are Next, State Of Fear and Prey. I'm reading the latter at the moment, I've finished the previous two novels few months ago. I encourage you to read these novels. If you are interested in biotechnology, Next is a must read. Not just these novels offer us new perspectives about what's going on in our world but much more. As a researcher, I'm at awe Michael Crichton's extensive research for each of his novels.

However, through his novel Next, I have a feeling that he views human being as part of the animals clan. I might be wrong but if I'm right it is an unacceptable view. Anyway, if you have a chance, try to get hold of his novels. If you love science, I believe you'll fall in love with his novels.

No comments: